Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 7, 2015

THOUGHTS: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


Since this is not a newer release, I won't post a full review. However, I think that such a profound read deserves a few comments.  I had not read this before. Truthfully, while it was on my radar as a notable book, it was not too high on my never ending 'to read' list.

That being said, the high school lunch book club I co-conduct monthly chose this as the last read of the school year.  Liesel's story was powerful and uniquely portrayed.  Zusak artfully developed a memorable cast of characters.  His strong creativity and prose enabled readers to experience an altogether different kind of Nazi Germany narrative unlike others they may encounter in either fiction (i.e. Code Name Verity) or nonfiction such as Night, Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl, or Hidden Like Anne Frank: 14 True Stories of Survival.

For me, the book started slow; however, with the introduction of Max, and subsequent events, I was hooked.  I found the unconventional narrator --Death--to be wildly imaginative and surprisingly appropriate.  This POV allowed for a unique bird's eye view which I cannot recall experiencing with other books. Scenes made me laugh, curse the evils of humanity, and cry.  Sitting alone late last night, I will admit to an extended period of ugly crying as the narrative came to a close.  Overall, it is a poignant and beautiful book. However, one downfall to the overall storytelling was the narrator's pesky spoilers.

Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars.


Follow the author on Twitter: @Markus_Zusak


#bookthief #uglycry #sad #history #holocaust #books #ilovebooks #war #markuszusak

No comments: