Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

REVIEW: Where the Rock Splits the Sky by Philip Webb

Years have passed since the Moon split, leaving the sun suspended in the sky. Night never comes and those humans left on Earth must struggle to survive.  Let's not forget the Visitors--aliens who have come to take over Earth and use human bodies as hosts.

Fifteen year old Megan is determined to travel deep into the deadly and unpredictable 'Zone'--the area at the heart of the strange planetary disturbance--in order to search for her missing father.  Not only does she solve the mystery behind her father's disappearance but also the unsolved questions of Earth's paralysis.

I just wasn't a fan of this book.

1)  It is not something I'd pick up to read on my own. The premise doesn't do it for me.

2)  If I hadn't been reading this for ROYAL, I never would have finished it.

Why?

1) The plot felt unfocused and jumbled. The better story here would be the events right after the Moon splits and the world falls into chaos.  The world building and cohesive story based on a merging of plot and characters just wasn't there.

2)  While some of the description was intriguing and the idea that Earth has reverted to the Wild West has potential, the characters remained flat. I had little interest in Megan or the rest of her 'posse'. Too much of the setting and dialogue felt stereotypical instead of blending modern world survivors with the reinvention of the Old West.

3)  As villains, the Visitors lacked depth and and real sense of purpose.  The one central "Big Bad" should have made an appearance much sooner. There is a glimpse of the end game toward the end but by that point I'd lost interest.

Overall, I've certainly read better and worse.  I'm not sure I see the general appeal to teen readers. If a teen does pick it up, I'd say this is for middle school age readers. This is not recommended for purchase.

Final rating: 2 out of 5 stars

#YAlit #dystopian #aliens #futuristic #bookreview 

No comments: