Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 29, 2016

REVIEW: Troublemaker by Leah Remini

My reading challenge includes reading a book about religion.  For this, I chose Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by actress Leah Remini.  Throughout she recounts her experience growing up as a Scientologist as well as the impact this had on finding success in Hollywood.

I've always liked Remini as an actress from the first time I saw her on Saved by the Bell to her leading role on King of Queens.  I watched her stint and Dancing with the Stars and when she's filled in as a co-host, I prayed to the TV gods that she'd permanently fill in for Erin Andrews.

Remini is smart, funny, and tells it like it is. I admire her honesty and courage to write this book despite the increase in backlash she's already experienced. Truthfully, I went in not knowing much about Scientology as a religion.  Sure I recognize key celebrity names (i.e. Tom Cruise, John Travolta) but when it comes to beliefs and principles I was a bit in the dark.  Remini sheds light on how it all is supposed to work but also blows the whistle on questionable actions and continued mysteries. Speaking her mind led her to be unjustly ousted because she spoke her mind and raised questions based on what she saw and how that factored into what she was always taught to believe.

This was a fascinating read made even more interesting by Remini's own narration of the audiobook.

Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Follow the author on Twitter: @LeahRemini


#troublemaker #memoir #hollywood #religion #books #audiobook #celebrity #humor

No comments: