Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 6, 2016

REVIEW: Harry Potter & the Cursed Child

Set some twenty years following Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the story explores aspects of Harry's life as a Ministry of Magic employee, husband and father of three school-age children: James, Albus and Lily.

The main narrative focuses not only on Harry and his continued struggle with a dark past, but also on Albus, the youngest son and middle child.  Albus struggles immensely with the weight of an unwanted family legacy and being rather different from his family altogether.  He is a Slytherin after all!

There is a significant fusion of the past and present as emotions run high and whispers of Voldemort, a secret child and profound regrets threaten the lives Harry, Hermione, Ron and even Draco have built over the past twenty years.

I know plenty of people have weighed in on their opinion of this release especially if it was necessary, how it fits within the other books, and its format.  Honestly, I loved it.

Here's why...

I always had lots of unanswered questions pertaining to book 7.  There were some plot and character holes that fans have waited a long time to fill. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child did more to placate my feelings than that dreadful epilogue ever will.

I liked the script format for a dramatic play.  Sure, there is less descriptive detail but real fans of the books and the films can easily fill in the blanks and focus on the story and characters rather than all the visual fluff.

Snape. Cedric. Lily.

Revisiting these characters and their deaths gets me ever time. It doesn't matter how long.

I cried. Again.

Overall, I loved reading this and others will too. I gobbled it up in one sitting starting at 4:30 in the morning; that's how much I loved it.

Final rating: 5 out of 5 stars


#HarryPotter #CursedChild #theater #drama #magic #Hogwarts

No comments: