Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 8, 2017

REVIEW: Hamilton--The Revolution

Lin-Manuel Miranda's groundbreaking musical Hamilton is as revolutionary for audiences since its debut.  The hip-hop infused story of a poor kid from the Caribbean who fought the British, defended the Constitution, and helped to found the United States. Fusing hip-hop, pop, R&B, and the best traditions of theater, revitalizes Broadway and brings the history of American Revolution to viewers in a far more compelling way than any of us remember enduring in school.

Hamilton is amazing on its own but I have to say it is even more compelling for me since I live in a town named after him. I've been putting off listening to and immersing myself in this musical world, but now I'm hooked. I think the experience is enhanced since I didn't listen before reading this book. I heard the musical influences more clearly having the knowledge from the book already in mind. 

Hamilton-The Revolution also puts the historical context in perspective for fans. Let's face it, learning about the American Revolution in school was a pretty dreadful and boring experience but in this incarnation, it is as exciting as it is information.

I highly recommend the audiobook as narrated by Mariska Hargitay.


Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments: