Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

REVIEW ROUNDUP #2: Sherrilyn Kenyon

You know how you have some many series but get behind on new titles?  That's been my problem with the past several releases of Sherrilyn Kenyon.  I adore her as an author but I fell behind with not only the League but also the Dark Hunter and Chronicles of Nick titles.  Therefore, I'm on a mission to catch up.  If you visit my teen blog, you'll find my review for Instinct, book 6 in the C of N YA series.


I've  been revisiting the Dark Hunter universe by finishing Dark Bites, Kenyon's short story collection published in 2014. This is an all-in-one collection of previously availably novellas and other stories plus a few newbies. Some are directly related to the 'verse while others have a strict realistic flare.  Nonetheless, all the titles feature Kenyon's charateristic attention to solid, detail oriented creative writing and distinct characters. There's angst. There's romance. Standouts for me were "Winter Born", "Love Bites", "Until Death Do Us Part", and perhaps my favorite, "House of the Rising Son" which reads as a standalone or as a prequel novella to Styxx.

Final rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

#lovebites #darkhunter #sherrilynkenyon #anthology

Cloak & Silence is a novela and technically book 7 in the League series. Fans have been waiting for Maris' happily ever after for a while.  Honestly, I was rather disappointed maybe because I expected a more detailed plot. Maris is a fierce warrior but has had to face countless public humiliations since his sexual orientation goes against Phrixian custom.  There had been a big buildup to his story.  I wasn't particularly enamored with his love interest, Ture. I can' quite put my finger on one distinct reason of why I felt let down but part of methinks it is because I kept thinking of the epic story for Qhuinn and Blay in Lover at Last.  J.R. Ward spent years plotting their angsty romance and their book did the complicated romance justice.  Maris' and Ture's relationship just felt like it happened too quickly.

Final rating: 3 out of 5 stars

#league #cloack&silence #sherrilynkenyon #novella


I'm finishing up the League book 8, Born of Fury.  Look for my review in a few days.

No comments: