Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

REVIEW: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

It's been a little over 13 years since I first read the Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.  I just finished a re-read to help cover a co-worker's program at the library.  I think I liked it and appreciated the writing and story crafting more this second time. In over a decade, I've never truly forgotten the story and how moved I was by many of the characters.



For those unaware of the premise...

In Pennsylvania, 1973, fourteen year old Susie Salmon is raped and murdered by a neighbor.  The story that follows is mystery and grief surrounding her death as told by Susie looking down upon her friends and family from Heaven.

While not a traditionally 'teen' book, upon this re-read, I could see the appeal for mature YA readers who've exhausted other titles in the collection and what a compelling read that is both sad and hopeful in discussing harsh issues and overcoming grief. Teens would like the science fiction 'twist' to the story as well.

I still have yet to watch the 2009 film but that is a project for later this week.


#lovelybones, #alicesebold, #grief, #mystery

No comments: