Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 13, 2015

REVIEW: Deceptions by Kelley Armstrong

I'm a bit of a fangirl and pretty much adore anything and everything that Kelley Armstrong has ever written on published. Deceptions, the third entry into the Cainsville series is no exception.  This book pretty much picks up right where Visions left off.  Olivia and Gabriel have had another near miss with a murderous villain and are keeping pace with the discovery of the Fae influence within Cainsville and the parts that each of them are destined to play.

Olivia continues to grapple with her mysterious past.  Readers finally get to see her meet her father.  We learn more about a possible motive for her parents to commit murder as well as some other illuminations about Olivia, Gabriel and Ricky. The title for this book is on point. It is becoming increasingly difficult for our characters to judge who to trust.

I love that this series isn't predictable. The pacing is fantastic and I always want more but Armstrong continues to torture me and make readers wait for the next book as she dangles that enticing literary carrot.  There is nothing typical about the structure of this novel.  I hesitate to categorize it as strictly urban fantasy since there are strong elements of a mystery thriller.

I'm also enthralled by Armstrong's character development.  While I like Olivia and Ricky, the real star for me is Gabriel. He's just magnetic because he's so closed off. The developing tension between him and Olivia is palpable.  I particularly liked the few chapters from his point of view. It is as if he is truly waking to emotions for the first time and isn't quite sure what to make of it all.  I sense crescendo of the love triangle blooming but I'm glad it hasn't happened yet.  Gabriel isn't ready yet and while Olivia is sensing that her feelings for Gabriel might be changing; she's not there yet either. And...I like Ricky but he needs to wise up a bit or I fear that he just might not survive all of this.

The only bad part about finishing Deceptions is now I have to wait a whole year for the next part.  I can't wait!

Final rating: 5 out of 5 stars



#deceptions #cainsville #kelleyarmstrong #UF #mystery #thriller #fae

No comments: