Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 24, 2015

REVIEW: Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson

Lawson's Let's Pretend This Never Happened is probably my favorite nonfiction audiobook listen of all time.  I just couldn't wait for the release of Furiously Happy.  It certainly lived up to its subtitle--A Funny Book About Horrible Things.  Whereas her first book focused on family, Furiously Happy takes a humorous approach as Lawson explores her lifelong battle with mental illness. A hysterical, ridiculous book about crippling depression and anxiety? And yet, it all works. The discussions are poignant but presented with Lawson's characteristic flare. 

I can't stress enough Lawson's amazing narration to her own books. Her delivery is perfect and will leave readers in hysterics.  I know other drivers thought I was in the middle some sort of episode as they passed me on the road.  Overall, I didn't love this book quite as much as Lawson's debut; however, it is still an amazingly bizzare and funny take on how to process and discuss coping with mental illness and still live a fruitful and productive life.

Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Follow the author on Twitter: @thebloggess or visit her site: www.thebloggess.com



#furiously happy #jennylawson #memoir #humor #mentalillness #audiobook

No comments: